New Things

Kadalasan, sanay ako magsulat dito just to take a break from my serious writing/labada mode. But that is not the case right now since I am on a more than 2 week break from it all. Hindi naman sinadya pero nagkataon lang na nasa transition stage kami ngayon. So I have lots of free time. And with free time comes lots of new things to savor and experience.

Unang una sa food department.  So, I happen to devour platefuls of the famed and most raved about Pepita's Lechon.
Pepita's French Lechon
The gourmet pig was the star of our mala-noche Buena feast at the farewell gathering for our fantaserye. And might I tell you it was that fuckin good, the pig I mean. haha. All hell broke loose when this was plopped down the long table. It was very much hyped but the hype was true and so much more. I am no lechon eater but this had me with three plates. The truffled rice stuffing was so good and it went well the crisp thin balat of the lechon. It was my first time to try this and I bet this is not the last.

Bakit ang sarap kumain no? There's some hidden wealth among our tastebuds. From our small mouths come sustenance and at times, small bursts of heaven. And we feel alive and blessed that we are able to taste something so good. Me, I like good food, who doesn't di ba? But more than the goodness of it, I like savoring and smelling and figuring out what goes on in there and then completely dropping everything for the sake of the mystery. Ma-proseso then biglang dedma. Kaya siguro i'm a slow eater. In between, gusto ko pa chumika at makinig ng chika and at times I find myself losing my voice temporarily. Anyway, chika and the food becomes one and then it becomes a good memory.


Aside from eating new stuff, of course there were other meaningful stuff to encounter something new... like family. Yes naman. Meaningful talaga. Over my free time, R asked my Dad if we could go to Batangas and meet my Lola from his side. I haven't met any one of my relatives from my Dad's side and I don't even bother why. So off we trooped there and finally, I met my Lola Ellen.


I think some of my traits came from her. She speaks truth with colorful sharp words. She's almost like my Dad. She's 80 years old yet you won't see it on her since her demeanor is so strong, like a softened fighter. There is a fire about her that has somehow been watered down yet hasn't burned out. At least, alam ko na kung saan kami nagmana.

And maybe when I grow old, I will unconsciously be like her. I'm glad I met her and the rest of my Dad's family. The nameless titos and titas are now within my radar but they're a whole new universe out there in Batangas. I feel a sense of disconnect since I didn't get to see them or even know them while I grew up. But I guess, it's the start of new ties. New things are good especially with the family.






Comments

Popular Posts