Happy Cliches


We had a 'surprise' send off party for a dear friend. And for a day, I was another person again. I was doing something refreshing. We had to prepare---think of the food, decorate and clean up because we have to surprise Z the moment she comes in. Out of all that, I enjoyed the last minute decorating part. It brought out the old production designer in me. Got me really excited and pressured in a good way.

I like simple and crude effort. I like happiness done in little ribbons, twirls and balloons, in the way a bunting is put up to emit a good feeling once the guest sees it.  And I like the usual surprise where you put off the lights and just shout and rattle the top guest when she walks in to her little party. I can't remember the last time we surprised someone with full balloons and decor. How come these fun and memorable things happen just when someone is leaving? I guess, the best parts of us really come out when something or someone is about to go away. Like we hold it in and give it away in bulk.


 

And then suddenly, I missed talking to friends. Not on chatrooms. Not on facebook comments. Just seeing them, feeling their warmth and coldness. Discovering them, experiencing their new brand of silly and  casual bashing peppered with little spats that we are so used to. Effortless friend stuff.



I miss chugging wine like it was beer and laughing, talking shit and realizing it's almost 5am and your body wants to shutdown but your mind just wouldn't. I'm glad those old cliches happened because the cliche is no longer a cliche in our age and lives.  Busy is the new cliche nowadays but it's not something I would miss.

Comments

Popular Posts