Sitting: slow murder via the chair

And I just saw this alarming story on Reader's Digest telling me that sitting can kill you. or I should say too much sitting can be hazardous to one's health.

Ayun. Ano nang gagawin ko? Parte ng kabuhayan ko yang umupo for more than 8 hours facing a laptop.Ang kabuhayan ko ba ang siya ring papatay sa 'kin softly and comfortably? It's weird because I always thought the laptop lights would blind me. Pati pala upuan nagmamaganda na rin sa sariling health issue. Ano na ang next na non-living thing na magthre-threaten ng buhay ko bilang isang hamak na manggagawa? Nail polish at ang di sinasadyang pag-singhot nito? Nooooo. Kaka-pa manicure ko lang eh.

So ayun ulit. Ano na nga ba gagawin ko? Ah yes, mag-exercise. Pero ayon sa nabasa ko kahit na fit and active ka, that deskjob is really bad for you health. Bakit ngayon ko lang nalaman 'to kung kailan naman nagpapaka-healthy na 'ko ulit. Nag-uumpisa pa lang ako ulit sa pagiging fit and active. In fact, I recently discovered the joys of dancing via PS3's Just Dance. In fairness, tagaktak ang pawis ko. I look forward to silly bigay todo dancing more than doing laps on a treadmill.

I was on a treadmill a few days ago but not in the usual Fitness First. R took me to this small time gym somewhere in the outskirts of Fairview. For 30 pesos a pop and free water, it was right but it offered something more, some character. I found myself greeted by this muscled sweaty boxer wearing a plunging yellow tight top--- as in baklang bortang boxer and it was quite a sight to behold. It's as if I saw butanding loitering in a swimming pool. He's just something you can't miss for he's a complete stand out and nobody gives a hoot. I like him for his non-chalance and just how unique he is, actually.

Anyway, conscious exercise bores me out kaya mas gusto ko yung sports and stuff that would tell me that I am not exercising but makes me sweat a pail. Exercise is just pain 'ya know and I don't want pain right up my ass. I guess it has to be fun so I can steer clear of the pain part.

Ang pamantayan ko ng total work out ay kung basa sa pawis ang panty at bra ko na kadalasan ko lang maranasan kapag nagte-tennis ako for 30 minutes. The same basang underwear situation is also evident when dancing for at least 15 minutes. Because, really, when you're wet and hustlin down there, it means you just had a fucking good time right?

Now back to my sitting problem. Oh yeah, the solution is simple: get up and move about. If only I could zap myself out of the writing zone to do that then I am no longer a health risk.

PS. Speaking of slow murder via the chair. Oh yeah, I had a brush with an actual slow murder via the chair more than 10 years ago. It's a theater chair in UST's Albertus Magnus auditorium to be precise. I cannot elaborate further. It is way too embarrassing getting saddled by a thin theater chair. My vagina was the one slowly dying there. She got through it and now I can say she's a chair survivor! Ha!
  

Comments

Popular Posts