On Gwyneth Paltrow...

What can i say? I love her! My interest was piqued since she came out as Brad Pitt's girlfriend more than a decade ago and it was not because of Brad Pitt.  And then they broke up. Then the rest as they say is history. This interest suddenly turned into much more when Alfonso Cuaron came out with Charles Dicken's Great Expectations in 1997 where she played the icy femme and heartbreaker Estella to naive probinsiyano Finn (Ethan Hawke).


I think i have watched it more than ten times because i am in love with the whole film and it's unique style. It's a simple love story about a boy who yearned for a girl who was beyond him. But the director made it very dreamy, artistic, with a nostalgic feel. Plus i really find it brilliant that the green color theme permeates through out the film. Estella is always dressed in swatches of green perhaps to represent something that Finn doesn't have yet-- money.   


This film adoration also seeped into its lead actress. That is the first film where i saw Ms. Paltrow's potential as an emerging chic woman. I am loving Estella's sartorial choices on Gwyneth. 


I really have to thank Alfonso Cuaron for this unlikely latching with her star hehe. Gwyneth is no great beauty like that of say Audrey Hepburn or even Meryl Streep during her youth (she is beautiful i tell you). In fact, she looks like a snob but in a kind hearted hippie way. I don't know how to put that but i really like how she presents herself in the film which is of course dictated by stylists. One that held me too is how quiet yet piercing her acting is.



Then suddenly she boomed into Hollywood in all her lanky frame with severe diet but as much as i love her, i didn't pattern my life after her. Hehe. I can't for the life of me convince myself to diet or even hire Tracy Anderson 5x a day! Haha. 





And so i became a quiet fan of her work and style which i think is an extended version of her character Estella. Estella is so Gwyneth in terms of style--non-chalant and classy with something unexpected. I began visiting her online site, i even buy her covers and keep them in display along with Nora Aunor's Preview and Marion Cotillard's Vogue... (my royal grail hehe)



and even grabbed her cookbook which i don't really get to use because the recipes are so American. Hello, caramelized brussel sprouts? I don't even know what brussel sprouts look like! My veggies are only malunggay, talbos ng kamote at alugbati. Yun na!



Recently, i am quite shocked to learn that she was considered the most hated celebrity in some survey and then she became People Mag's most beautiful all in a month's time. Two completely ironic claims for her status. I am also on opposite ends here since I don't understand why they hate her. She has something between her head, lives a quiet celebrity life, has a healthy toned body for a 40 year old, is not sleazy and just happens to have very expensive choices in clothes. Hate is a such a strong word ya know and i don't see that stamped on her face. But then i do not quite agree to People Mag's that she is the most beautiful. I don't know the criteria for this but i think they should have handed that when she won her first Oscar where, for me, was her most beautiful then. But hey, i am just one speck here so it doesn't matter. I still love her though if only my last referral would be Gwyneth as Estella in Great Expectations. She is Estella forever in my heart.


  



Comments

  1. Hahaha si Joan Rivers yun sobrang react nung dineclare na sexiest woman siya. I like her too...iba ang appeal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts