Newbie Chronicles #6: San Fo... you had me at hello

After spending time in sunny and luxey LA in California, we took a 4-5 hour bus ride going to San Francisco.

Honestly, I know nothing about San Francisco back in Manila. I've heard of it but I have no picture in my mind of what is there in San Fo (I didn't even know about the term San Fo til I went there haha) . Hence, zero expectations on that side of the state. I was more excited to see Ramesh, one of my old and close theatre friends back in college.  Little did I know that San Fo would really whisk me away enough to put that city in my list of happy places.

We got around there summer (August) but still the weather was more freezing than Tagaytay during the 90's. That is their definition of summer--in short malamig pa rin at lamig Amerika. And most of us being tropical girls that we are, were not equipped for this kind of cold summer. Ending buyla ng mga masabing semi-winter clothes sa H&M. Slash agad ang budgey. But hey, it's better to have an extra piece of cloth than freezing and cursing no? Oh and how can you curse with the beauty that is San Francisco. How do I describe it?


Cute skinny streets in topsy turvy lanes paved with nice little houses. The old school train plying about the city is quite a sight specially for my very Asian eyes. I unconsciously nod in agreement that San Fo is a picture city--very quaint with a boho luxe vibe. You can almost feel like you're living in an oversized polly pocket. And the buildings are quite a character of it's own.




And lo, there's another sight that kept me grinning when we came by the harbor side. A city by the sea... some work and more play combined.
I. AM. LOVING. IT.
The park with a nice beach view is a killer. Para sa akin double whammy ang green park na may beach view, it just tells you to take it easy. I can almost feel the sunday air in this side-- kites flying, family banter and some meaningful conversations by the sea. But of course, I cannot and will not attempt to swim dahil napakalamig dito.

 
 

Ayan na... nagiging wonderland na sa akin ang lugar na ito-- every nook and cranny, every small store and every flower too! They have nice flowers!


The famed crooked street in Lombard Ave.

Flowers are good for ones health especially for me who adores them lined along busy cities. It's the concept of ' have a serious life but take time to stop and smell the flowers' Ya know? Just a bunch of beauty to remind you life is good even if you take shit everyday or something like that.

Mr. Jazzman is another added love to the pulse of San Fo


I love the relaxed vibe of the city and the people too. And I can almost picture myself running around here or buying bread or getting drunk then passing out.   We were here for a good 3 nights; though not savored enough but at least gathered something memorable.  More than the first hello, the city suddenly embraced me when I got down from that 5 hour trip. It plopped me down a nice comfy sofa with some hot chocolate and it feels home. I am glad that once in my life I came here and actually smelled the roses in all it's cold nippy air.

PS.There are more touristy sights in San Francisco that didn't  prop here. Maybe in the next post.





Comments

Popular Posts