Nostalgia in Saigon

I've had a few phone photos taken during our trip. (di kasi dala ang malaking DSLR) and i noticed it's one of those photos that made our Ho Chi Minh trip interesting. Me and R stayed in one of those cheap hostels in the bustling touristy part of the metro--- along Bui Vien st. The street is busy with teeming hostels, food served on the side street, cheap beer, specialty shops about the Vietnam war, rows of tour offers, and recommended restos in the Lonely Planet guide. It's like the red light district of Makati minus the red light feel, you know the obvious whores plying about and city grime.

Now, this is the cheap beer that i'm talking about. Best enjoyed with travel talks from other travelling foreigners and at night while one the busy street of Bui Vien. But nothing beats San Miguel Pale pilsen for me. I'm that of an oldie when it comes to my beer. I don't like the taste of the light ones meant for the low-cal conscious. Red Horse naman is too much for me, i could get raped in that beer without me knowing. And then there's the smooth Tanduay Ice--cheap version of the Vodka cruiser but not cheap on the alcohol content. It packs a mean punch as you go.. then boom you're drunk as hell.

The Beer isn't exactly what took my breath away here, it's the coffee. I only drink coffee when i don't want to sleep on my deadline but the iced coffee here became my everyday liquid--not that i have impending work here (for which i am greatful!). Iced coffee here is the best And i don't know why i can't claim that on the ones in Starbucks.


Perhaps it's the way it is served that charms me, sometimes on a plastic cup with it's plastic straw. Raw and unpretentious sans the fancy shmancy of coffesshops. They call this drip coffee with condensed milk and is sold all over the place and just right off the street. They're not exactly instant where you put on a powder and creamer and voila! They still brew it in a fast way with an small coffee dripper. It feels authentic eh? Because it is. You don't go instant in Vietnam when they're the biggest producer of coffee beans around the world.   I just love how bakya and masa coffee can be here.


This is where we usually eat. Al fresco and just along the sidelines of the street. You get a small table and chair and you have a mini-restaurant. The food is yummy and fresh with all the Pho bo and  fresh veggie rolls strewn around the streets. They're a complete meal and are quite cheap ha.


I wish i could go back to Ho Chi Minh. Ang mura kasi plus i find it charming albeit a bit third world compared to mind blowing city that is HK. (Mind blowing was HK for me since it's my frst trip to a progressive country with actual discipline and cleanliness everywhere! Lalo na pag galing ka sa Manila.)  Though i wouldn't miss out on the faster paced cities to visit but this one definitely has a hold in my heart and i would love to go back and explore more of it's hidden treasures.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts