Newbie Chronicles: Seminyak, Bali

OK, so how do i start telling stories about this place. I've come to check out my Iphone pics and my professional pics (naks!) a.k.a one used with Canon. I'm not a professional photographer but I do like good photos, more than like, I am amazed and inspired, moved and compelled by really good stories captured in pictures. And based from the stills I scanned, my Bali affair is summed up in temples, food, the beach and it's sunset.

We first arrived of course in the airport. And should i say the first nod of approval for a tourist is by what greets him at the airport, which means I nodded a lot in approval. I didn't take pictures but the place is cold, with nice carpeted floors which is so formal when littered with tired and sunkissed backpackers from all over the world. The design has very much the essence of what Bali is from my perspective. It's on a general facelift and they're adding some more grand scale Bali touch from the outside. So bravo to the airport!

We were brought in Seminyak on a Holy Monday back in Manila. It's a hip place littered with quirky boutiques, surf shops, and shopping spots. I haven't seen a mall yet but i'm liking the whole feel of Seminyak when it comes to their business.  And of course, so many white people strewn all over the long streets.

street sign


one of the many temples in Seminyak

I am also into our culturally beautiful Hotel in Seminyak, the Seminyak Paradiso Hotel.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the great vastness that is the Seminyak Beach. Now, I have pre-conceived notions of beaches in Bali. Some say we have better beaches here in the Philippines than that in Bali but clearly I am impressed by this beach. It's similar to Baler but much better.

Some of us dozed off in our rented beach umbrellas while the rest of us talked and discussed about anything under the sun, literally. haha. I like lazing around, connecting with friends and having no definite plans really. Just lounging and discovering each other all over again.


Seminyak Beach in the afternoon

The following morning, me and Paulie woke ourselves up for an early morning soak here before we head to Jimbaran. It was my birthday and i'm glad it was a good beach day. The sea was on a high tide and the waves could rip you apart without a care. Swimming wasn't advised in the morning or probably everyday with those kind of waves.  It was the professional surfing kind, way bigger than the waves in La Union and Baler. It was not beginner friendly, it was bad ass waves lapping you up whole and spitting you unconscious. The smallest wave was as tall as me and the highest wave I saw felt like a baby tsunami. (oh there are tsunami drills in hotels which I gamely participated haha)

But still I had to do my little prayer on the sea. I had to lay my back and look up against the beautiful sky and thank God for my beautiful life that I don't really deserve. hehe. but still I AM given this life and I am so thankful and greatful for it. I took a naked feet run through the beach and the rush of salty endorphins felt good and heavy. Then I dared crash my head against the waves and felt some tingly massage everytime. A nice big head scratch. Perfect to clear things. What a good birthday it was!

And because of that, I knew the rest of the trip will be just as fine as the first first few days.  Before going to Jimbaran, we checked out the famed Potato Head Beach Club. We had to queue for a table and I was wondering what could be inside that people line up for it? So we enter and then there, we were greeted by what a good life looks like in movies. The open air mood with it's palm trees, chill vibe by the pool and sunset gave some calming effect. Also, its not as pricey as it looks.

right above is the pool



façade of the POTATO HEAD BEACH CLUB


Good Mango Sangria


How come some sunsets are better in other places when we only have one sun? It's the same friekin sun. I guess it goes with the set of eyes that make a sunset different in every place of the world. And the mood helps, the people you're with and the feeling that makes it better, makes it special even when it's just the same as in the other side of the world.

the beach view

Why do we chase sunsets? How come, before it tucks itself, a whole sea of colors just blows up the sky, with reds and purples then oranges and sometimes a whiff of blue. Now that is the mystery. Hahaha. I couldn't help but smile but I think the non- mystery is that everyday is painted in different color but it is always beautiful no matter what. How muni-muni this piece is.  Gah, i'm 32 so forgive me for the muni-muni and not so thought provoking thoughts. I had fun here but another Bali thing is yet to come. For now, I leave you with this.




Comments

Popular Posts